Thursday, January 21, 2016

WELCOME POST

My name is Katie Shumate!!

Friendsgiving 2015






<--  THIS IS ME!




Camp Hamwi 2015
I am 21 years old and live in Grove City. I graduated in 2013 from Teays Valley,a very small high school in Ashville. In high school I was in Color Guard for four years and loved every second of it. Over the summer I am a camp counselor at Camp Hamwi, which is a week long summer camp for children with Type 1 Diabetes. I have been Diabetic for almost twelve years and this summer will be my sixth summer at Camp Hamwi!

Being a Type 1 Diabetic has greatly influenced my life including my decision to become a teacher. I was diagnosed three days before I started the fifth grade. After a week long stay in the hospital I had to start school late. During the fifth grade standardize testing my blood sugar was high and I needed to use the restroom. Because my 504 plan was not finalized I was not allowed to use the bathroom during standardized testing. My teacher at the time snuck me out of the classroom and that was when I realized I wanted to teach children and make a difference like she did for me.

                    Later Gators,
                         Katie :)


No comments:

Post a Comment